Monday, October 24, 2016

Francis Saltus Saltus: The Sphinx Speaks/ La Espinge habla


Carved by a mighty race whose vanished hands

Formed empires more destructible than I,
In sultry silence I forever lie,

Wrapped in the shifting garment of the sands.

Below me, Pharaoh’s scintillating bands

With clashings of loud cymbals have passed by,

And the eternal reverence of the sky

Falls royally on me and all my lands.

The record of the future broods in me;

I have with worlds of blazing stars been crowned,

But none my subtle mystery hath known

Save one, who made his way through blood and sea,

The Corsican, prophetic and renowned,

To whom I spake, one awful night alone!

Francis Saltus Saltus

La Esfinge habla

Tallada por una raza poderosa cuyas manos desaparecidas
formaron imperios más efímeros que yo,

voluptuosa me agacho aquí por siempre y en silencio,
abrigada en el manto movedizo de las arenas.

Abajo han desfilado las bandas centelleantes del Faraón
al sonido de címbalos ruidosos,

y la reverencia eterna del cielo cae sobre mí
como reina y sobre todas estas tierras.

La crónica del porvenir se incuba en mí,
con mundos de astros ardientes he sido coronada,
pero nadie ha conocido mi misterio sutil salvo uno,

que vino acá por mar y sangre--el corso renombrado
y profético con quien una noche espantosa a solas hablé.

Tr. EAC

E. A. Costa    October 24, 2016    Granada, Nicaragua

No comments: